Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Blog Post #3 Most Important Values

     The value that resonates with me the most is promoting tolerance. I come from a Right Wing family and as a competitive Super Smash Bros player I hang out with an extremely Left Wing crowd. The most important lesson that this has taught me was to be tolerant of both opinions. Freedom of Speech protects hate speech, which at the end of the day, is just someone's opinion no matter how bad it sounds. Learning how to handle people's opinions no matter how incorrect is something really important to me when I am getting to know someone. Today's political environment is also really divided so people really need to learn how to listen to people who are different from them. We need to promote tolerance from both sides of the political spectrum. Every political writing today comes from just trying to shock value their side and show that they are correct.


CNN
Fox News



The values that I believe to be the most important for society are participation in self-government and individual self-fulfillment. I believe that in order to have a functional constitution and government there need to be people who actively want to be in those positions, you cannot expect high-quality work from someone who does not want to do a job. The founding fathers had to create the idea of Judicial Review so that people would want to be on the Supreme Court instead of being forced into a role they did not want to have. You would not ask someone who does not like soccer to go score goals. 




Here is a link to our notes where we got the Judicial Review Fact
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WEW-Q08GIiY-jKrGANMUfLKPJQacKyzuqtIwAk_Lz8A/edit?usp=sharing


I also believe individual self-fulfillment is important. America was founded on the principle of being able to do what you want. I also believe the widely-known idea of "The American Dream" is the foremost example of fulfilling your personal dream. You should be able to accomplish whatever you set your mind to in America. Celebrities can come from anywhere and America prides itself on its ability to make celebrities. I also believe that this one coincides with the value of the marketplace of ideas.

America is a "hot pot", for everyone's ideas to come together and help each other attain their goals and these 2 values build off of each other. Alongside the value of the marketplace of ideas, I believe that promoting innovation is also brought up from this value. I like to think of individual self-fulfillment as a major value that encapsulates the 2 minor values. 


Lastly, I want to talk about the structure of these values. I think calling them the 8 values is a little insincere since there are some that are way more important and encapsulating than others. I think that they should be called the 4 or 5 values depending on what you would consider major and then have some as minor values. I do believe they are all important just not equally important.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #11

 The Consequences of Social Media My opinions on social media: I believe that my relationship with social media is extremely healthy. For st...