Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Post #2 Supreme Court

 I think the most important thing to take away from the video is the fact that the Supreme Court only accepts one hundred of the 7000 total applications on average per year. They are a very elite court, most of the applications they see are ones where they are trying to overturn a lower-court decision. They also only get these documents once a week so it is a very slow process. I also think that it is important to stress just how many "weekly" tasks they do. They hold weekly meetings to discuss what cases to take on, holding weekly meetings for the cases that they have already decided to take.

Another really important thing I want to discuss is why they turn down cases. They do not choose cases based off of personal opinion. They choose the cases to take based off of their precedential value. If a case is not that important in terms of precedent they will not take it.

The most surprising thing that I learned is that the Justice's have their own small team of clerks and secretaries. I think it is fun to think about the Justice's just having their own little team instead of a team of secretaries that takes care of them. I also was surprised to learn about this random fun fact for their meetings, they have to shake each other's hands every time they meet. It is because they believe that touching each other's hands is important, it makes it easier to not hold grudges with other people.

The video changed the way I feel about the Supreme Court. I already assumed that they were a slow-moving group but I never knew just how slow everything was. I know it is because of the fact that they need to for Judicial Restraint's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #11

 The Consequences of Social Media My opinions on social media: I believe that my relationship with social media is extremely healthy. For st...